Kenyan Women in The USA (KWITU, Inc) takes immense pride in its members. We are interested
in women, who understand the founding principles of the organization and are willing to uphold
and support the ideology and values of the organization.
It is highly necessary for the members of KWITU, Inc. to not only participate in service but also to
conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful to one another and the community-at-large always
and under all circumstances. We must support each other in remaining consciously aware of our
permanent role model status and genuinely commit to an ethic of service, morals, and organization.
In doing so, our actions should reflect our mission and values.
Purpose of Code of Conduct
KWITU, Inc. has adopted the following Code of Conduct (this "Code") to apply to the
membership. This Code is intended to protect KWITU, Inc. members on areas of ethical risk,
provide guidance to help them recognize and deal with ethical issues, provide mechanisms to report
unethical conduct foster a culture of honesty and accountability, deter wrongdoing and promote fair
and accurate practices.
Code of Conduct
Introduction: Each member is expected to adhere to a high standard of ethical conduct. The good
name of KWITU, Inc. depends on the way business is conducted and the way the public perceives
that conduct. Unethical actions, or the appearance of unethical actions, are not acceptable. The daily
operations of KWITU, Inc. shall inspire confidence and be characterized by high ethical standards,
objectivity, and openness. The Code of Conduct requires behavior with integrity, respect, and
As a member of KWITU, Inc., I promise to abide by the fundamental values of this organization.
Integrity: is about the intent or meaning behind your actions.
- Serve the organization and public in accordance with the direction of the governing body.
- Act honestly when performing your duties.
- Ensure you declare and appropriately manage interests that may conflict with the
way you carry out your duties.
- Ensure all selection decisions are based on a proper assessment of merit.
- Conduct yourself in public in a manner that will not reflect adversely on the
Respect is about how you treat other people.
- Treat one another with mutual respect and courtesy, having regard for the dignity of
the members with whom you interact.
- Recognize the importance of people through training and ongoing development.
- Promote equity.
- Practice self-respect in your actions and decision-making.
Accountability is about fulfilling your responsibility as a member of your organization and the
- Act in an efficient, responsible and justifiable manner through the implementation of
risk management standards and practices.
- Ensure decisions have regard for the well-being of the membership and the
community we serve, both now and for the future.
- Ensure all decisions are fair and made without excessive formality.
- Ensure all decisions are transparent and in keeping with confidentiality requirements.
- Provide responsive, timely, effective and efficient service to your chapter, executive
board, and/or committee.
- Observe all guidelines, requirements, policies, procedures, and lawful and reasonable instructions as deemed in KWITU, Inc. governing documents (including obligations under this Code).
- Ensure that you are performing well to meet or exceed professional standards and other organizational requirements.
Additionally, I agree to the following points:
- I will not attend a meeting, an event (i.e., workshops, conferences), or any place where your
purpose is to be a representative of KWITU, Inc. or where the event's goal is to recruit new
members, in an intoxicated state, for other than medicinal purposes.
- 1. No intoxicating substances shall be present at any program or activity,
including, but not limited to member retreats and meetings, etc.
- 2. No intoxicating substances shall be present at any recruitment function. A
recruitment function is defined as any activity occurring at any time or
location, with the primary purpose being membership recruitment.
- 3. In promoting events, intoxicating substances may not be referred to in
publicity, including signs, fliers, mailing and media announcements (including
websites and internet advertisements).
- I will not slander or defame the reputation of KWITU, Inc. or any other organization on behalf of myself as a member of KWITU, Inc. (i.e. writing on another organization's web page to insult or degrade the organization while identifying yourself as a member of KWITU, Inc. using abusive or obscene behavior or language within public view or hearing, etc.).
- I will not fight, unless in self-defense.
- Ensure all decisions are transparent and in keeping with confidentiality requirements.
- I will not use KWITU, Inc.-related social events, such as parties, mixers, or any such
gatherings, to further personal sexual interests/negative social conduct, whether the behavior occurs inside the premises or in the vicinity of the premises, to the extent the board feels is harmful to the reputation of the organization. For purposes of this Code, “KWITU, Inc.- related events” include any event regardless of sponsorship, where KWITU, Inc. members attend.
- I will not engage in any of the activities in the sections mentioned above with an interested party or a member of KWITU, Inc.
- I will not dress inappropriately at KWITU, Inc.-related events after receiving notice from individual members or members of the general body.
- I will not behave unprofessionally at KWITU, Inc.-related events. Instead, I will refer to the following as guidelines for professional behavior:
- 1. Understand how “civility” helps individuals achieve professional goals.
- 2. Handle any situation with increased confidence and leave a more positive first impression.
- 3. Have a professional presence – Know how to dress and how to conduct yourself, in regard to appearance and attitude. Understand the impact of professional dress and etiquette.
- 4. Communicate with courtesy. Project a positive attitude through word choices and tone of voice. Learn how to respond with respect and tact when others are offensive.
- 5. Understand how miscommunications occur and make an effort to prevent them.
- 6. Maintain your composure in stressful situations.
- I will not participate in a negative activity on the KWITU, Inc. national listserve, Social
Media, Online, and website platform (e.g., emails, public advertisements, and flyers, etc.)
- I will maintain the confidentiality of information entrusted to me by KWITU, Inc. and any
other confidential information about any organizational business. For purposes of this
Code, "confidential information" includes all non-public information relating to KWITU,
Inc., its business, or members.
- 1. KWITU, Inc. does not tolerate disruptive activity online, such as persistent off-topic
comments and postings or statements that incite others to violate this Code of Conduct
or participate in illegal activities that directly affect the organization.
- 2. Board of Directors may remove postings that are deemed inappropriate, offensive or
that violate guidelines or this Code of Conduct.
- I will ensure that my private conduct does not compromise my role as a member. KWITU
respects the privacy of its membership, and will not seek to address private conduct unless
such conduct adversely affects the reputation of KWITU.
- I will protect the reputation of KWITU, Inc.
- 1. I will not speak as a member of this organization to the media or in a public forum
without the prior knowledge and approval of KWITU, Inc.
- 2. When prior consent has not been obtained, I will inform the organization at once when I
have spoken as a member of this organization to the media or in a public forum.
- 3. When I am speaking as a member of this organization, my comments will reflect current organizational policy even when these do not agree with my personal view.
- 4. When speaking as a private citizen and/or member, I will strive to uphold the reputation of the organization.
Disclaimer: (This list of inappropriate behavior is not exclusive of other actions the board deems sanctionable).
Violation of the law & KWITU, INC. Code of Conduct
If an individual member violates KWITU, Inc’s Code of Ethics (to the extent for which an informal phone call or a letter of reprimand will not suffice), her appearance will be requested before the Board of Directors via conference call, upon timely notice, to explain her actions, at which point, the board will, at its discretion sanction or excommunicate the member for her behavior. If the board determines that action is required, it can (if it has not already) choose to do the following:
- Send a formal letter of reprimand
- Place the member on probation, (to be defined by the board- i.e., barring member from
attending specific functions)
- Change the member's status to inactive, or in an extreme situation, where the board has exhausted all other options and finds no other way of remedying the case, the board can choose to recognize the member no longer or allow her the privileges of being a member of KWITU, Inc.
The Board shall determine, or shall designate appropriate persons to determine, appropriate action
in response to violations of this Code.
KWITU, Inc. members may be accountable to both civil authorities for acts that constitute violations of the law and this Code. Those acknowledged violations of this Code are subject to the disciplinary procedures outlined in this Code while criminal, civil, or other disciplinary actions regarding the same conduct are pending. The Board may refer matters to federal, state, and local authorities when appropriate.
Complaints regarding violations of these policies will be directed to the appropriate KWITU, Inc. officials (Project Director or any member of the Board of Directors). Such complaints will initiate a due process, which may result in disciplinary procedures as described above. Investigation of the circumstances of the complaint may also result in referring individual members to disciplinary action.
Members must do their part to uphold this Code of Conduct. If a member knows of or suspects a violation of applicable laws, rules or regulations or this Code, she is encouraged to immediately report that information to Project Director or any member of the Board of Directors. No one will be subject to retaliation because of a good faith report of a suspected violation.
If a member allows herself to be the subject of such abuses, or participates in any aforementioned negative activity, including the observation of same, and/or fails to report such abuses to appropriate Organization officials -- she may be barred from active participation in various activities.
- Board of Directors shall be responsible for communicating all policies and procedures, including those in this Code of Conduct to their members. Project Directors will review this document with all members at least once each year. At the start of their term, Project Directors will sign an agreement to assume the responsibility of making sure that this is carried out.
Code of Conduct Amendments
This Code of Conduct may be amended or modified by the board. Changes should only occur under extraordinary circumstances or following a strategic review of the code.
KWITU, Inc. Personal Commitment
Every member is responsible for ensuring she conducts herself in accordance with the Code of Conduct. While compliance with the Code of Conduct is a requirement of membership, the Code does not cover every situation, applicable law or procedure. In addition to applying good common sense, KWITU, Inc. has other policies & practices that apply to conduct.
It is vital that I understand the Code of Conduct will be ineffective if I do not take personal responsibility for my actions. All members must commit to respect a board’s final decision(s) deemed necessary to have any positive impact on changing members’ behavior.
I understand that I may confront an ethical issue where this Code or other policy does not expressly provide an answer.
Questions regarding the application or interpretation of this Code are inevitable. You should feel comfortable to direct questions to the board.
Each member, individually, is responsible for the integrity of her actions. No member may justify an illegal or improper act by claiming another member ordered it. No member, regardless of level or position, is ever authorized to direct a member to commit an illegal or improper act.
By confirming that you have read and understood these guidelines, you help KWITU, Inc. ensure that all its members understand and follow these guidelines.